MENU

Ireland’s star captain staying, Galaxy told

October 11, 2013 • Soccer, Sport,

Ireland's injured Robbie Keane reacts during the last training session, a day prior to the 2014 World Cup Group C qualifying soccer match against Germany, in Cologne, Germany, Thursday, Oct. 10, 2013. (AP Photo/Martin Meissner)

An injured Robbie Keane during a training session yesterday. (Pic: PA)

Interim Republic of Ireland boss Noel King has rejected a request to release skipper Robbie Keane from his squad after tomorrow morning’s World Cup qualifier in Germany.

The 33-year-old striker’s LA Galaxy manager Bruce Arena had asked that the striker be withdrawn from the party to face Kazakhstan in Dublin on Wednesday morning (Australian time).

However, King politely declined and Keane, who missed training on yesterday with an ankle injury, will remain with his international teammates for the duration.

“The Football Association of Ireland today confirmed that Noel King has responded this afternoon to the manager of LA Galaxy Bruce Arena to inform him that he has decided not to release Robbie Keane and trusts that he understands the position, having been an international manager himself,” an FAI statement said.

Ireland have only a mathematical chance of making the play-offs for next summer’s finals in Brazil after defeats by rivals Sweden and Austria last month.

Keane, the Republic’s record goalscorer with 60, will take his tally to 131 senior caps if he plays in both games.

Comments

comments

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*

« »