The family of Jill Meagher have invited the public to a memorial mass in her hometown Drogheda where they say she touched the lives of many.
The 29-year-old’s uncle, Michael McKeon, said she had many friends across the globe and it was fitting to remember her where she spent her early years.
“We have decided to hold a memorial mass for her in Drogheda, the town she first called home, on Friday, October 5 so that she can be remembered on both sides of the world on the same day,” said Mr McKeon.
Ms Meagher’s body was discovered in a shallow grave last week, days after she went missing following a night out with work colleagues in Melbourne.
Ms Meagher’s family will hold a private funeral service on Friday morning in Melbourne, where her remains will be cremated.
“Her heartbroken parents will then bring her ashes with them as they return to her home in Perth where she spent many happy years,” Mr McKeon added.
“Jillian touched many people and has family and numerous friends in Ireland as well as Australia.”
The public service in Drogheda will be held at St Peter’s Church on West Street.
Ms Meagher’s family on both her father’s side, the McKeons, and on her mother’s side, the Boyles, will be at the mass, as well as family of her husband Tom.
“The mass will be open to everyone who wishes to remember a young woman that we will never get over losing,” said Mr McKeon.
On Sunday, up to 30,000 people flooded the streets of Melbourne in a peace march to remember Ms Meagher, who worked at ABC radio.
Her mother Edith McKeon, who had flown to Melbourne from Perth, Western Australia, joined supporters in a minute’s silence in a park in the Brunswick suburb where she went missing.
She thanked the public for their support during the massive police and media campaign to find her daughter.
Victoria Police have charged Adrian Ernest Bayley, 41, with the rape and murder of Ms Meagher.
Meanwhile, Victoria Police has warned about the nature of comments being made on social networking sites including Facebook amid fears they will prejudice a trial.
Facebook has refused a request from Victoria Police to remove a page containing potentially prejudicial information.
Victoria Police chief commissioner Ken Lay has revealed his concern.
“Though social media’s been enormously helpful in this investigation, it’s also been very, very difficult and we had cause to speak to Facebook over the weekend and ask them to take a particular site down,” he said.
“Now, they’ve refused to do that. We’ve all got a social responsibility. Facebook is part of our community and I would have thought that it would have only been reasonable.
“When you see the hatred that’s incited by some of these sites, it is very much the antithesis of what we saw yesterday with 30,000 people taking to the streets saying let’s try and make this a safer and fairer community.”